On July 31, 1907 the Sisters of the Good Shepherd opened “The Home of the Good Shepherd” in north Seattle to provide shelter, education, and guidance to girls and young women in crisis.
At the turn of the 20th century the Sisters planted an extensive orchard with several varieties of apples, pears, plums and cherries. Winter Banana apples were grown to make cider, while others were stored for fresh eating and cooking. Girls living at the school helped care for the orchards and harvested and processed the fruit.
As residency at the Home of the Good Shepherd declined in the 1960s and 1970s, the orchards fell into disrepair, and the Home officially closed in June 1973. Seattle Parks and Recreation acquired the 11-acre campus in 1976 and subsequently transferred ownership of the building to Historic Seattle. The Good Shepherd Center currently houses the Wallingford Senior and Community Center, The Meridian School, Seattle Tilth, Washington Green Schools, Tilth Producers of Washington, artist work and living spaces, and many other community groups.